At the 2015 Taupo BMX Club Annual General meeting, Kevin Tamepo was made a life member of the Taupo Bmx Club.
Kevin has been an active member of BMX New Zealand from the age of five (thirty-five years in the sport) and has competed both nationally and internationally. Out of the thirty-five years in the sport, seventeen of those years have been spent as a member of the Taupo Bmx club, this making him one of the longest current members of the club.
How Kevin and his family have supported the club:
- Active committee member for Taupo and all club’s he has been with .e.g Turangi, Te Awamutu, Tauranga, Taupo.
- He has been and continues to be a excellent mentor to both young and old riders with in Taupo Bmx.
- Calming influence, very positive in his coaching ways, with all level of skill riders.
- Helps out behind the scenes, always thinking how to make the track better from the rider’s point of view.
- Very supportive to parents of riders new and old.
- Great knowledge of the Bmx rules and regulations,
- Always remains level headed, neutral, in his dealings with riders, members, and in the wider community.
- Coaches many kids in the sport
- Promotes Bmx out in the wider community in a way an ambassador should in a sport.
Kevin’s knowledge and Achievements of/in the Sport:
- Competed at Five World Championships.
- Competed at Countless National Championships.
- Young sportsman of the year Lakeland 1987
- Sportsman of the year-Taupo and Turangi 1998
- Sportsman of the year, coach and premiere-Turangi 2013
- Service to sports - Turangi 2014
- Taupo Bmx Club President - 2001, 2002
- Riders hold him in high regard and with huge respect of his knowledge